Monday, April 30, 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 Gaming

It comes down to money.  Ubuntu 12.04 does not support my aging ATI x1550 any more than Ubuntu 10.04 or 9.10 did.  So even though I have a Pixel Shader Model 3.0 card I can't use it to play Skyrim on Ubuntu or any derivatives.  Now you might say "Why not just use the older Ubuntu?" mainly it's because it's not supported or updated any more. Now that 12.04 is out 10.04 is not supported and that had 2 years of support on it.  The primary reason why the old Ubuntu works with the fglrx for my card is because both are out dated software.  The biggest issue I'm having is that it works perfectly fine in windows (any version), but just won't run on Ubuntu because of the stupid unsupported driver issue.  So now I've got to put more and more money away (not that I have any) just to get a supported card in order to not have to buy the next version of windows.  Well if you want to chip in for me to get a new video card, I put a new widget on the right .

No comments: