Sunday, January 22, 2012

Where My Dream Began

I was very small and even shorter.  My parents had taken me out of public school and given me a chance to succeed in a private Montessori school halfway through grade 2.  Now this may seem counter productive to some, but let me tell you their reasoning.  I was a very bright child and could read not only quickly but at a very high level for my age.  I was also quick at most other subjects in school, but reading was my favourite.  In our reading group I would finish the assigned book the same day it was provided while every other student was still only on chapter 1.  The public school I was in did not allow me to go into a higher reading group, so my parents started searching for a different school.  I had 2 weeks off school while they were looking, and they brought me to a bunch of different places, but the only school in the city that would allow me to go at my own pace was this private montessori school.  Because I enrolled late in the year I was given a chair near the back of the class right in front of a computer.  It was the first computer I had ever seen, and after a week of sitting in front of it, and learning about the different games and programs on it already, I vowed to one day learn how to program a computer.

This was the start of my dream to become a computer programmer, and it's been one of the driving forces in my life.

No comments: