Thursday, February 4, 2010

How to Build Google Chromium using VMWare Player and Ubuntu Karmic

First of all follow the directions laid out by www.chromium.org

Second I had to modify in this way:

Downloaded the Chromium (Browser) source tarball (.tgz) for the bootstrap SVN checkout using windows. I then extracted it to disk using 7-Zip.  Then I copied it from my Shared Folder to the VM using Ubuntu's File Browser.  Sure it takes a while but when you are done with that you will have all the source files on a virtual disk, where they take up fewer blocks of your hard drive.  If you don't believe me take a look in windows and it will tell you in properties "Size on Disk".  I guarantee it's bigger in windows than on that virtual disk.

Next I had to download the ChromiumOS source tarball or check out the SVN repository.  Guess which way I went.  That's right I checked out the repository.  Why?  Because the Chromium Browser has over 220,000 source files, and the OS has quite a bit less than that.  I just couldn't get the browser files downloaded any other way but using that tarball and then updating.

Next will be the gathering of dependencies, and then after that I'll be able to start building it.  Now remember all of this is being done in a VMWare virtual machine, with Ubuntu 9.10 installed.

No comments: